Book Review - A Discovery of Witches

 2020 got you feeling like you need an escape plan? The best escape plan is in a good book. You can stay in the safety of your home, but be a million miles away in your mind. Last week I finished the book A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. It is book 1 in the All Souls Trilogy and although sometimes I find it hard to continue through a series as my attention gets drawn to a different book, this one I am sure I will be finishing. 

 It is a fantastic story with forbidden love, magic, vampires, other various supernatural beings, secret societies, historical references, discovery, and family dynamics to name a few. It did take me about 200 pages to really get sucked into the story, and I don't normally hang on for that long if a book isn't drawing me in. However, the person who recommended the book to me had so many great things to say, I hung in there. The author does a great job of setting the scene, those kind of details in a story this detailed and complex can take some time to lay out. Be patient! It is so worth it. 

The book tells us there are 4 types of species of "people" on Earth; Humans, Vampires, Witches, and Daemons. The author really makes you feel like this supernatural world is coexisting with our own right under our noses and will have you looking at strangers and famous people wondering.....Are they human?

A witch denying her abilities, to hide from a painful past event, starts to discover her true powers all while trying not to get too close to a vampire that has taken up an interest in her. The story twists and turns and before the characters or you know it, you are down a rabbit hole of fantasy that makes it so easy to forget what is going on in the real world. This book will have you feeling all the feels and staying up way past your bed time to see what happens next!

Tell me what you think, if you read this series or if you have a suggestion for another book you would like me to read and review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Official Teen Advisory Group Blog

The more you know....

Book Review - Ghost Boys by: Jewell Parker Rhodes - October's Teen Book Club choice