Book Review - Ghost Boys by: Jewell Parker Rhodes - October's Teen Book Club choice

 Ok, guys, this book was so good. This book is October's Teen Book Club book as well. I read this over the summer when I was really looking to diversify my world of author's in order to have a super selection for Teen Book Club this year. Jewell Parker Rhodes is one of the best writers I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

This book is not too long and a very quick read. However, don't let that fool you. It packs a punch. I don't want to give away spoilers, so I have to be careful what all I reveal here. Basically the book follows a young black boy named Jerome who is shot and killed by the police. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. His ghost is stuck after what happened and along his journey as a ghost he meets other "ghost boys" who were also murdered because of the color of their skin, throughout history. 

A gut wrenching story because it hits so close to home with the times we are living in today. However, it didn't leave me feeling sad or regretful for reading it. I felt empowered to continue to teach my children to educate themselves and embrace differences, not reject them. My heart was full of love and compassion for this boy and his family because the author does such a wonderful job of tackling relevant subject matter in an honest and relatable way.

I would recommend this book to anyone over the age of 10 who is interested in expanding their mind and embracing all human beings for what they do in this world and how they make others feel, not how they look on the outside. Be the change!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Official Teen Advisory Group Blog

The more you know....